This serves as a follow up question related to this, with a focus on the last paragraph. Again, here's the passage:

物体は激しく動けば、それだけ摩擦が大きくなる。人間だって、激しく動くと熱を持つのだ。端から見れば、輝いている人間のことが、きっと羨ましく見えるのだろう。

だけど、輝いている本人は熱くてたまらないのだ。(中略)

これは真面目に、けっこう辛いことなのだ。

カッコつけているわけじゃない。自分がそうなってみて、実感としてそう感じる。

What makes this sentence difficult to understand is it introduces a subject 自分 and makes use of そう which acts like a 指示詞.

What I know so far

From broccoli facemask's (broc's) comment, I learned that 自分 refers to the author, and that it is the author's way of sympathizing with the 輝いている人.

What I don't know yet

1. What does そう refer to? Or even before that, do the two そう refer to two different things? At first I thought the first そう refers to 辛いこと but if I try to match broc's comment, it doesn't make sense that 自分 = 筆者 will become a concept: 辛いこと. So it must be that the first そう refers to 輝いている人. Then the second そう must refer to a feeling as hinted by the verb 感じる so it must refer to 辛いこと.
  2. Knowing that 自分 = 筆者 and keeping in mind brocs's comment that "自分がそうなってみて、実感としてそう感じる means that he actually feels it, not only an imagination", I still can't understand the construction of the verb なってみて. As I understand it, this can be broken down to なってみても = なる + てみる + ても, where てみる is the grammar point explained here and ても is the grammar point explained here. If this is correct, I would translate this to "(Even) if I try to be like 輝いている人, I will really feel the 辛いこと."

So there goes my line of reasoning. Where did I go wrong?

• After having my questions answered, I have come to appreciate this passage even more. I like how the final sentence supported the one preceding it, consequently adding "gravity" to the entire passage. It's as if the author was saying, "That living a life under the limelight of success is difficult, is not pretense at all. I am no stranger to it, having lived such a life myself." – rebuuilt Jul 1 at 21:45
  1. What does そう refer to?

This is an essay written in loose composition, so both そう might not be found grounded on a short phrase, but given this context, it is reasonable, as you said, to fill in 輝いている人間/激しく動く人間 and けっこう辛い, respectively.

1. I still can't understand the construction of the verb なってみて.

This みて belongs to a minor usage of みる.

㋑「てみると」「てみたら」「てみれば」などの形で、その結果、ある事実に気づいたり、その条件・立場が認められたりすることを表す。「踏みこんでみるともぬけのからだった」「親としてみれば、そう言わざるをえない」

It does not mean "try to V" but is used as the first part of conditional to mean "when one has actually V-ed" or "when one ends up V-ing". The key is that it always implies you already have had such an experience, not a hypothetical situation. Of course, in a long shot, it is an expansion of "try" みる, as you can say:

やってみたらとても簡単だった When I tried it, it was quite simple.

But you can no longer use "try" in such a sentence as in your case.

自分がそうなってみて、実感としてそう感じる。
Now as I have become such myself, I feel so as a real experience (couldn't feel more so).

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you so much! I didn't know that dictionaries entries for 見る would also include てみる and that てみる can precede a realization or recognition of a fact/truth. – rebuuilt Jul 1 at 11:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.