I was reading an excerpt from this book and it read something like this:

物体は激しく動けば、それだけ摩擦が大きくなる。人間だって、激しく動くと熱を持つのだ。端から見れば、輝いている人間のことが、きっと羨ましく見えるのだろう。

だけど、輝いている本人は熱くてたまらないのだ。(中略)

これは真面目に、けっこう辛いことなのだ。

カッコつけているわけじゃない。自分がそうなってみて、実感としてそう感じる。

Here are my questions:

1. だって is just でも, similar to the one explained here, right?
  2. What is the 主語 of the sentenceカッコつけているわけじゃない。I would translate it as "It's not that I'm showing off (here). Even if I (myself) become like that (i.e., 輝いている本人), I would/will feel the same (i.e., けっこう辛い)." I don't understand it because the author doesn't seem to be showing off or being pretentious. Or am I not noticing something?

P.S.: I can remove the 「中略」 if you think it's necessary to finding the 主語.

自分がそうなってみて、実感としてそう感じる means that he actually feels it, not only an imagination. Commented Jul 1, 2020 at 7:04
  • @broccolifacemask-cloth By he, you mean the author? In other words, this expresses the author's empathy towards the seemingly successful and happy people?
    – rebuuilt
    Commented Jul 1, 2020 at 7:46
    Yes, 実感 shows that he experienced it in some way. Commented Jul 1, 2020 at 7:50

1 Answer 1

1. Yes, this だって is like "also" or "even".
  2. The subject of カッコつけている is 輝いている人 in general. Here 格好付け refers to saying 辛い ("I'm suffering") even though they objectively seem highly successful and happy. The author thinks a successful celebrity saying such a thing may seem pretentious or contrived, but he is saying that the pain successful people are feeling is a real one, not a feigned one.
  • Though you can't replace it with でも in this context. Commented Jul 1, 2020 at 7:03
  • @broccolifacemask-cloth That's interesting. May I know why?
    – rebuuilt
    Commented Jul 1, 2020 at 7:04
  • @broccolifacemask-cloth この文章に限れば「人間でも」でも通じません? 常にそうなのかはよく分かりませんが…
    – naruto
    Commented Jul 1, 2020 at 7:07
    @naruto 通じるといえば通じるのですが、何か違う意味になりませんか?「人間だって」だと「人間も同じように」ですが、「人間でも」だと「人間ですら」とか「人間の例でも」みたいな感じで… Commented Jul 1, 2020 at 7:53
    @rebuuilt Yeah that's indeed a good question that you may ask in a new topic (if you've found no duplicate). Commented Jul 1, 2020 at 7:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .