I've come across several sentences that have a lone subject or object and then the verb without a particle to be heard of. One example is テーブルですか so my question is, do I only need to use a particle when the subject or object is not clear?

Rurik's answer already mentions this, but it's perhaps worth emphasizing that no particle is possible in your sentence, as written. A better example might be お金あります, where a likely が is being omitted. Jun 30 '20 at 5:02

In spoken Japanese, subject, object, and topic particles are dropped if context makes the role of each noun clear.

僕テーブル買った is fairly certain to be understood as "I bought a table" without the particles.

In your sentence, even with a subject, no particle would appear between テーブル and です.

テーブルです。

これテーブルです。

これはテーブルです。

could all be interpreted as "This is a table."

If you are describing a quality of something with an "X desu" phrase, no particle goes in between X and desu.

I would like to add that not only when spoken, you can also often drop particles in written casual Japanese as well. I usually see this in text messages, but similar rules apply to what you wrote, there are times where particles should be added for clarity.
    – ajgudmun
    Jun 30 '20 at 5:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.