When I first learned the Japanese R, I thought it kinda sounded like an L, although not exactly. I was able to replicate that unique sound with a mindset that the Japanese R sounds like a “flicked L.”

However, when I was searching for ways to improve upon my pronunciation, I often read that the Japanese R sounds exactly like the English flap t, or the “tt” in “butter.” At least in American English.

This honestly confused me. I won’t deny that they sound pretty similar. Might even be the same exact sound. But, the mentality for me is completely different.

Whenever I make a Japanese R, I am mentally thinking of its L-like quality.

Whenever I say the word “butter”, I am mentally thinking of a “d” sound as if it’s “budder.”

Basically, saying “taro” and “tado” has a different mouth feel for me. Or “haru” vs “hadu”.

I’m just curious if there might be a slight difference between the English double tt and the Japanese R because they clearly “feel” different to me. Or do you think this is a mentality problem because my native language is English?

Does this answer your question? R sound vs L sound – broccoli facemask - cloth Jun 28 at 3:37
  • I've always thought it's essentially the same sound, myself, and have sometimes used it to illustrate how to say it, to English speakers. I think this also explains プリン in Japanese for English pudding, and also why the Japanese "r" sound, after an ん, takes on a decidedly harder "d"-like sound (but still not the same one as e.g. だ). – Micah Cowan Jun 28 at 4:58
  • The main problem I have with using "butter' to illustrate the Japanese "r" sound, though, is that it's a little awkward to use an unstressed syllable with a schwa vowel to illustrate anything. That and the fact that not all English speakers pronounce "butter" in that way. – Micah Cowan Jun 28 at 4:59
  • If I understand correctly, the latter half of snailplane's answer to the post I linked is a perfect match to your question here. If you still have something unclear, you can elaborate your answer. – broccoli facemask - cloth Jul 1 at 6:59
  • I feel like the post was just comparing the Japanese R to an English L. I wanted to compare the difference between a Japanese R (central tap) and the English flap t if there is a difference at all. Whenever I say the word “butter”, I think of a d sound for the doubt tt. I never really thought of the Japanese R sound. But as I said, it is probably because of my bias as an English native speaker. – iloveturtles Jul 2 at 9:10

I consider the R- sound and the "tt" (or "dd") sounds from your example of "butter" to be completely different. I can't substitute the R- sound into "butter" - creating an abominable word in the process - and have it sound close enough to "butter" without confusing people at the supermarket.

I find the best way to think about the R- sound is by comparing it to the sound made when Rs are rolled. Italians don't say "pizzeria" with the same R as you'd hear in a word like "rotate", nor do they rev up the roller and extend it - it is much more clipped and sounds like the R has been rolled, but stopped after only a single "cycle" of rolling. Of course, if you can't roll your Rs, this becomes much harder to test – but I suspect if you can't roll Rs then the R-sound would escape you too!

Example: Here's a somewhat low-quality sound of an Italian pronunciation of "pizzeria". You may hear the quick turn at the R sound.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.