In the follow manga panel:

enter image description here

I'm not sure about 「見ちゃおれん」. Is this 見ては居れない = 見てちゃだめだ "(You) should watch"? My other guess is おれ=俺.

Context: The man is scolding the girl (he hired to be the stall mascot) for not doing her job properly.

見ちゃおれん is indeed a fairly casual way of saying 見てはおれない (= 見てはいられない). However, 見てちゃだめ is more like 'you shouldn't keep watching' (not an uncomplicated 'you shouldn't watch' like 見ちゃだめ), and 見てはいられない is more 'I can't bear to watch' than 'shouldn't watch' anyway.

| improve this answer | |
  • 見てちゃだめ is 'you shouldn't watch' <- "You shouldn't watch" is 見ちゃだめ, rather than 見ちゃだめ, right? – Chocolate Jun 27 at 16:00
  • @Chocolate 見てちゃだめ is what OP wrote up there, and I just wrote it the way they did. Do native speakers ever say 見てちゃだめ, or was it just a mistake by OP? – Aeon Akechi Jun 27 at 16:19
    I think it was a mistake. ては→ちゃ, so みてはだめ→みちゃだめ. みてちゃだめ is a shortened form of みていちゃだめ = みていてはだめ, which is more like "you shouldn't keep/be watching". I think we say things like テレビばっかり見てちゃだめよ! 勉強しなさい! – Chocolate Jun 28 at 1:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.