OK, this has been driving me nuts. My friend and I have been learning Japanese off and on for many years, though neither of us are fluent. We got into an argument about the pronunciation of 'え'.

My textbooks said it was an English "short e" as in "bet" or "step." In my opinion, that's the IPA [ɛ]. That's how I've always pronounced it (unless it's a long ええ and then I use [e:]).

My friend was pronouncing it like the Spanish "e", closer to the English "long a" sound (although not a diphthong) and like the IPA [e].

The wikipedia page on this is inconsistent. It says it's the IPA [e] sound as in American English "bet," but that is definitely not the way I or anyone I know pronounces bet! Here's "bet" in wikitionary, agreeing with me.

When I play clips of Japanese audio and listen closely, I hear [e] in some words and [ɛ] in others. What the heck is going on here? Is there any kind of rule, does it vary by speaker, does no one notice or care?

This difference is very noticeable to me when my friend is pronouncing it. Possibly she's Englishizing the vowel a little bit. When listening to native speakers, I have to focus slightly to hear the difference, but it's still very obvious. What gives?

Vowels tend to be very variable, especially in languages with relatively few vowels such as Japanese – Aeon Akechi Jun 26 at 21:32
  • As long as you use English, I don't think any English dialect distinguishes //e// and //ɛ// either? – broccoli facemask - cloth Jun 27 at 7:43
  • @broccolifacemask-cloth I think they do (bed vs hey) but /ɛ/ is far more common in my opinion. – rebuuilt Jun 27 at 7:49
  • @rebuuilt Ummmm... yes if you count a sound in the middle of diphthongs in, but I don't feel it very fair... – broccoli facemask - cloth Jun 27 at 7:54
    @broccolifacemask-cloth Here in Barnsley, 'wet' is /wɛt/, 'wait' is /weːt/, and 'weight' is /wɛɪt/. – Aeon Akechi Jun 27 at 15:15

Japanese, a language which has 3-level vowel height system, does not have the distinction of //e// and //ɛ//. Or speaking more correctly, Japanese え and お are (true) mid vowels, that their sweet spots fall just midway of theoretical [[e]] and [[ɛ]]. (We write them [[e̞]] and [[o̞]] in IPA if necessary.)

Japanese vowels

(chart from Wikipedia)

And as far as the Standard Japanese concerned, there is no conditional allophone (that you must pronounce exactly //e// in some cases and //ɛ// other), so you may hear the sound //e// or //ɛ// totally randomly, because it is in the range of ordinary fluctuation.

IPA symbols were created for Western European languages in mind, where 4-level height system is prevailing. Compare the Italian (4-leveled) and Spanish (3-leveled like Japanese) vowel diagrams.

Italian vowelsSpanish vowels

| improve this answer | |

As long as typical え is concerned, English e as in bed is a bit too low-toungue'd for え, though it's still included in allophone. In this regard, spanish e is much closer, or the same.

• I agree with the Spanish e. – rebuuilt Jun 27 at 5:45

To answer this question, I checked the sounds of /ɛ/ and /e/ here.

And then I compared it to the pronunciation of which is the closest word you have to the sound of え. For good measure, I checked the pronunciation of エネルギー.

I conclude that it is closer to /ɛ/ than to /e/.

• Not the downvoter, but maybe the OP is looking for a difference between sounds, regardless of specific words such as 絵 or エネルギー? I mean the え int these words might sound /ɛ/, but in other words it might not, etc. – jarmanso7 Jun 28 at 15:56
  • Probably. That said I'd like to see a counterexample to the conclusion. – rebuuilt Jun 29 at 1:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.