Recently, I was reminded of 手ずから again and connected it to 自ら{みずか} and おのずから this time. I was wondering if the structure ずから is used anywhere else? Some research seems to indicate that might be related to つ+柄.

• That's interesting! Bookmarking for future reference. – rebuuilt Jun 26 '20 at 8:40

I researched and found some words which have similar meaning with these samples.

• 口ずから (by one's own mouth)
  • 足ずから (by one's own feet)
  • 心ずから (by one's own heart/will)

As a different meaning, ず+から seems to lead a meaning of relationship.

• 隣ずから (with relationship of next to each other)
  • いとこずから (with relationship of cousins)

In my experience, these words I shared are rare especially in modern Japanese.

As you mentioned, this pattern seems to be derived from "つ"(one of particle) + "柄"(essence) like "身つ柄" → みずから. The particle "つ" is almost the same as "の". Surprisingly, "つ" in まつげ(eyelash) was originally the same as this particle meaning ま(目 eye) + つ + げ(毛 hair) meaning "eyes' hair". "柄" is common in modern Japanese like "人柄"(personality) and "家柄"(culture/custom of family).

I’m really fascinated about how the 濁音 in some words shifts sometimes. It’s like a limited form of metathesis. 手伝う is another unexpected one compared to the naive 連濁 you might expect. – Darius Jahandarie Jun 26 '20 at 14:57
  • Oh, I haven't noticed that 手伝う has a sound shifting!! Definitely unexpected in the case つ+から too. Not only the particle shifted つ→づ→ず but 柄 didn't change to がら. – Mitsutoshi Watanabe Jun 27 '20 at 12:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.