I'm learning Japanese from (glossika), still very Beginner A1 Low (1.7%), so I want to know how to pronounce 疲れ.

I know it's つかれ=tsu ka re, but I hear it like (tu ka re), and that the full Sentence, 疲れました.

• If your native language is English or another Germanic language, it may be that your aspirated stop consonants have high stridency and that's why you hear Japanese /ts/ as t. – broken laptop Jun 27 '20 at 10:03

The 'tsu' sound is mostly pronounced as 'tsu', not 'tu'. In the International Phonetic Alphabet, this is written as [tsɯ] (see here).

Therefore, 疲れ is pronounced as 'tsukare' (つかれ). Again, listen to the native speakers saying the word here.

In some Japanese dialects, there is a slight devoicing of some 'tsu' sounds, which might make it sound like 'tu'. For example, Wikipedia lists the case of 'kutsu' being pronounced 'kutu' (described here), but I don't think this is common for the word 疲れ. Having said that, in the second example from Forvo above, the male voice does sound a little like 'tu'.

• thank you so much! – ナセル Jun 25 '20 at 16:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.