Okay, please go to google translate first and set the language on Dutch, After that type in "Joeri", The thing I just can't get to sound right in katakana writing is the "oe" sound. How should I write this or is this not possible?

If we believe what Wikipedia says:

Joeri (/ˈjuːri/) is a Dutch transliteration of the Slavic masculine given name Yury (George) and as such a given name in Belgium and the Netherlands since the early 1960s.

The pronunciation (/ˈjuːri/) would be rendered ユーリ{HLL}. ー represents long vowel (mostly in foreign word). Note that Japanese ウ sound has less roundness and backness than typical [[u]], that means people (especially in Tokyo) would pronounce it more like "juuri" or "jeuri", but it can't be helped.

| improve this answer | |
  • Alright thanks, that will do. – Joeri Brinks Jun 19 at 16:54

I would write it out as ユゥリ. That would put more emphasis on the [oe] sound rather than ユーリ but not as much [u] sound if it was ユウリ.

-- Starfox

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.