I'm not really sure when I should use 本当 as a な adjetive or a noun. For example let's see these examples.

この人は本物の男だよ

この人は本当な男だ

この人は本当の男だ

What's the difference between these 3 sentences? (if there is any kind of mistake, please correct it) I think that 本物 it's used with objects (as in the word uses the 物 kanji) but the other two I have no clue. Thanks!

本当 is a no-adejctive, so 本当な男 is simply wrong. For the general difference between 本物の男 and 本当の男, see: What is the difference between 「本物」 and 「本当」?

In your case, the difference between 本物の男だ and 本当の男だ is not large, but 本物の男だ sounds a bit more natural to me. They can be used interchangeably in several situations:

• (I thought he was a coward boy but) He is a real man!
  • (I thought this person was a woman dressed as a man but) He is a real man!
  • (You were raised in a woman-only community and did not know what a guy looks like, but) He is a real man!

本当男だ means "He is indeed a guy", "He is a guy as you said", "He is really a guy", etc.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.