I'm a little confused, I was reading a book an this turned up; at first I thought it would be a verb ending in ぶ or む, but it turns out it's not really a verb, I guess it's a noun. I found out that for it to be a verb it should be "戯れる", so it's clearly not a "ている" form in the past. Could someone tell me what this means exactly and what kind of construction it is?

I've been told I should give a better context, so this is found in the novel 空の境界(上), from "奈須 きのこ", the whole sentence is: 拵えが立派な細い刃物を手にして戯んでいたわたしは、 いつのまにか指のあいだを深く切り裂いていました。

Thanks in advance.

「[戯]{あそ}んでいた」, maybe?? – Chocolate Jun 12 at 1:00
    Please, always try to include the full context and specify what kind of material you are reading. If this is from a proofread novel from a famous novelist, people are likely to assume it's an obsolete rare kun reading. If this is from a casual blog post, it may be a simple typo. – naruto Jun 13 at 2:14

拵えが立派な細い刃物を手にして戯んでいたわたしは、 いつのまにか指のあいだを深く切り裂いていました。

Probably I would have guesstimated the word 戯{あそ}んでいた is the past progressive form of 戯{たわむ}れる at first for reading the full sentence.

Usually 戯{たわむ}れる is more of "frolic"(ex. puppies chasing/tickling around) than "play" : 遊{あそ}ぶ (I mean playing baseball could be very serious as a profession, right?)

So, the author chose 戯{あそ}んでいる is appropriate to draw the agent seeing the beautiful knife and making sure its performance and they happened to cut their interdigital space deeply.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.