I wanted to ask that to a friend that is also studying Japanese about how he is doing, and thought maybe asking "日本語の勉強はどうですか。" but I have no idea if it is correct. How do I say "how is (something) going?"

• In a Japanese question, you ALWAYS need to tell the teller and receiver. It'll be different depending on hierarchy. – Alexis Jun 13 at 9:33
  • What do you mean by telling the teller and receiver? – programmer with problems Jun 13 at 16:52
    Who say that? toward who? It'll be different if it's a student to another student or different hierarchy. I say that because your sentence seems too polite/unnatural for student-student conversation. – Alexis Jun 13 at 22:54

You're right. You can also say 日本語の勉強、どう? assuming that you're close enough to be casual to each other.

| improve this answer | |
    I would love to see a comment or two from native speakers. Would anyone really say that? Sounds to me pretty awkward - in terms of flow - to omit は and end abruptly at どう at the same time. – macraf Jun 12 at 6:21
  • Yeah, I'd like to know too. I might be saying it wrong all along. I do hear 最近、どう? from a friend but I'm not quite sure. – rebuuilt Jun 12 at 8:41
  • 最近、どう?is just asking for news, not necessary studies. "How have you been recently?" – Alexis Jun 13 at 9:29
  • Yes that's right. What I wanted to point out is that structurally, in terms of dropping particles, they look similar. – rebuuilt Jun 13 at 10:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.