Hi I found a sentence earlier with 嫉妬し蹴落とそうとする and I do not know why し is put there. Anyway, I thought it was the reasoning marker but it does not sound like it from the audio and I don't know what 蹴落とそうとする means. I got a rough translation meaning 'to kick' but I might be wrong. This sentence was from oregairu season 1 ep. 1 when someone was basically criticizing the mc.

弱くて醜くて すぐに嫉妬し蹴落とそうとする

[嫉妬]{しっと}し [蹴落]{けお}とそうとする

The し in 嫉妬し is the continuative form (連用形) of する. In other words, 嫉妬し is the continuative form (連用形) of 嫉妬する, "envy, be jealous".

The continuative form of a verb/adjective can function as a conjunction to connect verb/adjectival phrases or sentences. Your sentence can be rephrased using the てform, as in 嫉妬し蹴落とそうとする, without changing the meaning. For more on this usage of the continuative form, please see:

蹴落とそう is the volitional form of 蹴落とす, "kick down". "Volitional form + と + する" means "try to do...". For more on this grammar, please see:

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.