enter image description here

How to translate this ストレスの多い人ほどよく夢を見る ? Could someone give me full translation of this whole question ?

I currently understand that ほど in this context is used to show an extent but I can't translate and understand it anyway.

I've seen this kind of usage. For example, やらなければならない仕事が山ほどある(I have works too much and it feels like a mountain), I think I can understand this because there's が indicating what feels like a mountain(works).

But in the sentence I gave, there's no subject mentioned (I think it's omitted but I don't know what's it) "ストレスの多い人はストレスの多い人ほど良く夢を見る" is what I think to be the full sentence but it sounds really weird. Another assumption is "ストレスの多い人になるほど良く夢を見る"

I don't know if the following picture is relevant or not. But it's reading comprehension that this question according to.

enter image description here

The context starts where the red arrow pointing. I just give full article to give all information I have.

This ほど is "the more ~ (the more ~)". It's a variation of the ~ば~ほど construction.

ストレスの多い人ほどよく夢を見る。
= ストレスの多い人であればあるほどよく夢を見る。

The more one has stress, the more often they dream (or "the longer they dream").

ほど following a noun that is associated with a strong "trait" (強い人, 天才, 金持ち, 美人, ...) can work like this.

Examples:

• 金持ちほどお金の大切さを知っている。
    The richer you are, the more you know the importance of money.
  • 弱い犬ほどよく吠える。
    Barking dogs seldom bite. (lit. The weaker a dog is, the more it barks.)
  • 賢い人ほど謙虚だ。
    The wiser a person is, the more humble he is.
  • 北に住むクマほど体が大きい。
    The further north a bear lives, the bigger its body is.
| improve this answer | |
    This is a better answer than mine so I have removed mine to avoid confusion. – kandyman Jun 11 at 13:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.