Here's the full sentence:

’なんぼ期待されとっても倒れたら元も子もないんやから。’

And here's where I ended up:

'Because no matter what you say, even if you have hopes, you'll lose everything if you burn out.'

The context is, this is something the main character's mother (who lives in Kochi prefecture in the Shikoku region), is saying. I decided that とって could be a contraction of とる (to have) but then I realized that means more like 'to have lunch' or 'to have a nap'. So does this make my translation wrong?

Here's another theory. So I found out that 〜んやから at the end of the sentence is colloquial Kansai-ben which could be characteristic of the Shikoku region with it's proximity to Kansai. So I decided to research colloquial contractions. I found that the contraction 〜てあいて changes to といて in Kansai-ben. I thought I saw somewhere on google that といて sometimes is とって. So if that's the case, could the translation be:

'Because whatever the circumstances, if you're expecting to burn out, you'll lose everything.'

Last theory is that it's とっても. I've just never seen とっても inserted mid-contraction like this. If this is grammatical, I suppose the translation could be:

'Because whatever the circumstances, if you're expecting to really burn out, you'll lose everything.'

Thanks for taking the time.

• Kochi is in Shikoku, not Kansai. Whether that's irrelevant and the character speaks Kansai-ben anyway, or if there are just enough similarities with surrounding dialects, I couldn't say. – Leebo Jun 10 at 5:27
  • Thanks for that correction! I was able to find that the Shikoku region uses Tosa-ben, which is largely a combination of the Kansai and Chugoku dialects according to the article below. Which means my Kansai-ben theories might still work. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tosa_dialect – Bobby Spiecher Jun 10 at 6:32

This 期待されとる is short of 期待されておる (see this chart), and in this context おる is the same as いる for progressive aspect. なんぼ is the equivalent of いくら in Kansai/Shikoku dialect. や is widely used instead of だ in western Japan.

なんぼ期待されとっても、倒れたら元も子もないんやから。
= いくら期待されていても、倒れたら元も子もないんだから。
= No matter how much you are expected (No matter how much they expect on you), if you fall down, you'll lose everything.

| improve this answer | |
  • Cool, I was closer than I thought. I really appreciate it! – Bobby Spiecher Jun 10 at 6:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.