I've heard that を is sometimes used instead of が nowadays. Although it is strictly incorrect it is becoming more common. Is this true ?

For example:

お茶を好きです

車を欲しいです

This article by 東山篤規 is exactly about this topic: 助詞「が」と「を」の置換性について ─文例と世代の比較─ The following table illustrates を is preferred by younger generations in some contexts. The dagger (†/‡) in the rightmost column indicates a statistically significant difference between the two generations.

enter image description here

Roughly speaking, younger people tend to prefer を with できる, 欲しい, ~たい, ~(ら)れる and so on, especially in relatively complex sentences. I personally feel 私は車を欲しいです is a little unnatural (私は車が欲しいです sounds much better), but 車を欲しい人を探す and 車を欲しくなる映画 somehow sounds fine.

Although not included in this table, I think the same tendency is found also with 好き, 嫌い, etc. Still, a simple sentence like お茶を好きです is considered wrong regardless of the generation.

Related:

| improve this answer | |
  • That's an excellent article, very interesting. Can you recommend a resource or site for finding such free articles on Japanese linguistics? – kandyman Jun 10 at 9:35
  • @kandyman Unfortunately I know nothing better than simple google search. Snailplane introduced this article to me :) – naruto Jun 10 at 9:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.