I learnt that in Japanese, the の preposition is used to describe the direction of a place (up, down, right, left, next to, etc. For example:

• 部屋の中 (heya no naka): Inside the room.

• テーブルの上 (te-buru no ue): On the table.

But then I listened to a conversation that contains a sentence which I believe is written like this:

• あの 信号 をひだりへ 曲がってください (ano shingou o hidari e magatte kudasai): Please turn at that signal

In this case を is being used instead of の.

Is it just a mistake in the above sentence or did I not hear it right?

[あの信号を][ひだりへ]曲がってください。

あの信号を continues to 曲がってください, not to ひだりへ. (I mean, it's not 「あの信号の/をひだり」.) あの信号を and ひだりへ both modify verb 曲がる.

あの信号曲がる make a turn at that signal
あの信号ひだりへ曲がる lit. make a turn to the left at that signal → turn left at that signal

曲がる is an intransitive verb. Noun+を used with intransitive motion verbs, such as 歩く, 行く, 出る, 飛ぶ, 進む etc., can indicate the place of an action, the direction of a movement, or the point of departure, etc.

For more on this を, you could refer to:

| improve this answer | |

Mainly の is used for the possessiveness. Exact meaning in english is "of" or "belongs to".

In the case of を it's a object marking particle.

For the direction purposes, normally に へ で are used respectively. Other particles are very rarely used.

| improve this answer | |
  • While what you say isn't incorrect, the の and を particles have other functions as well. This question, as it turns out focuses on the other functions of these particles. – ajsmart Jun 8 at 20:51
  • English it is. "english" means something else. – Peter Mortensen Jun 8 at 22:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.