Why is a soft "ji" in Asia (アジア), but in John (ジョン) - is a hard "ji"?

Is it just pronunciation or is there an actual discernable/readable difference?

• That's interesting. Please note though that ジ is treated differently from ジョ. – rebuuilt Jun 5 '20 at 12:12
    This is just me, but I think they have the same "hardness" – rebuuilt Jun 5 '20 at 12:13
  • I'm surprised that this already has a best answer. There is indeed a difference for many speakers, especially of Tokyo dialect or standard Japanese, between j-sounds at the beginning of a word or after a consonant and those between vowels. Likewise, there is a difference between the other z-sounds depending on the phenomic environment. I can't remember no where I first came across this, but it is worth researching in a japanese resource, by which I mean written in Japanese. – James Edwards Jun 5 '20 at 15:06
  • @James Edwards Can you be more specific on how the positioning of ĵ affects the pronunciation of it? – kandyman Jun 5 '20 at 15:59
    @Dane Brouwer I found an interesting thread which seems to explain your question, so I have removed my own answer as it might be misleading. Check here: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/18094/… – kandyman Jun 6 '20 at 10:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.