As I understood so far, 撮る is a transitive verb, so "to take a photograph" is 写真撮る in Japanese.

However, I've just come across a sentence in my textbook that uses the expression 写真に撮る, and I'm not sure if I understand it. Does it mean the same than 写真を撮る, or does it actually mean something different?

The sentence is part of a typical fill-the-gap-with-a-suitable-particle (or leave it blank) exercise:

この公園では猿【さる】が子供を育てている( )ところ( )写真撮ることが出来る。In this park, it is possible to take a photo where the monkeys are feeding their children.

I think that the answers to the parentheses are blank「 」and「で」 respectively. I am sure about the first one, but not so sure about the second:

この公園では猿【さる】が子供を育てているところで写真撮ることが出来る。

Maybe I'm just wrong and therefore it's getting me more confused. I would rather say:

この公園では猿【さる】が子供を育てているところで写真撮ることが出来る。

Meaning-wise, does it make a difference to replace に by を in this sentence? and more importantly, are they interchangeable in general when it comes to 写真を/に撮る ?

I suspect my doubt might be related to this answer where they discuss 写真に収める, but it concerns a different verb so I'm not sure either.

Any help is much appreciated.

よろしくお願いします。

• I think I can't go to the hyperlink you attached on safari and firefox. Is it working properly? This might be answering your question partially though, I'd like to compare ...ところを写真に撮ること... with ...ところで写真を撮ること... . So far, I don't have any grammatical explanation to though. – kimi Tanaka Jun 2 at 23:31
  • @kimi Tanaka, I think Ringil has fixed the link. Thank, you! – jarmanso7 Jun 3 at 5:56

So, I'm grasping at straws a little, but I can see some sort of logic... I would say that

この公園では猿が子供を育てている(x)ところ(を)写真に撮ることが出来る。

is the right way to fill in the blanks. I feel like you need the を somewhere if the 写真 isn't being 撮る’d. So why is the 猿が子供を育てているところ is being 撮る’d in my suggestion?

To explain that, I think it's helpful to view the とる family of verbs (取る・撮る・捕る etc.) as all having a sense of 'capturing' rather than ‘taking’ (however loosely!), so I'd rationalise it that instead of "taking the photo", you are actually "capturing the moment that 〜" i.e. 〜ところを撮る, within/onto a photo i.e. 写真に.

I would therefore posit that there is a slight change of emphasis away from the actual action of taking a photo with 〜の写真を撮る, to a more whimsical notion of capturing a moment/memory using a photo with 〜ところを写真に撮る.

I am, however, not particularly sure in this instance, so happy to be corrected by a native speaker!

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.