Generally, when we read or count, 4, 7 and 9 are read only as "よん", "なな", "きゅう", seperately. However, in some cases, 4 is read as "よ" rather than "よん", 7 is read as "しち" rather than "なな", and 9 is read as "く" rather than "きゅう". Therefore, I would like to ask some question.

i) When is 4 read as "よ", "よん", or both?

ii) When is 7 read as "しち", "なな", or both?

iii) When is 9 read as "く", "きゅう", or both?

iv) Why do we not say "しじゅう", "しちじゅう", and "くじゅう" when counting 1 to 100?

When you say "four" or "nine" on its own, it's almost always よん and きゅう in modern Japanese. しち is somehow relatively common as a standalone word, too, but you can always stick to なな. (いち, に, さん and し are on-readings but よん is a kun-reading. However, よん took the place of し for the most part, because し was aurally less distinctive and し is associated to death. なな are preferred especially in math or financial contexts because しち sounds a bit similar to いち.).

However, し, しち and く are used in the following contexts.

• In month names: 四月【しがつ】, 七月【しちがつ】, 九月【くがつ】 (なながつ is uncommon but acceptable. よんがつ and きゅうがつ sound very strange.)
  • In 七時【しちじ】 and 九時【くじ】 (4 o'clock is よじ, not しじ. ななじ is also acceptable. きゅうじ is always wrong.)
  • In fixed (usu. on-on) compounds: 四方【しほう】, 七五三【しちごさん】, 九九【くく】
  • In さんし, ろくしち, etc. (see: What is the correct expression of 10/20, 20/30, 30/40 etc?)
  • To describe an age without 歳/才: 十九【じゅうく】の春, 二十四【にじゅうし】で嫁に行く, 四十【しじゅう】からの健康法 (I don't know why, but this is probably a poetic/literary custom? Usually you can say 二十四歳【にじゅうよんさい】, etc.)
  • When you count up only using on-yomi (see: How do you do a countdown?)
  • As mnemonics to remember numbers (see: Rules for slang of Japanese numbers)
  • Old speakers of some dialects may say しじゅう/しちじゅう/くじゅう.
| improve this answer | |
  • However, when we count up, 40, 70 is yutou-yomi(よんじゅう、ななじゅう). not on-yomi. Also, 90 is kan'on "きゅう" is used, not go-on "く". Then, what is 44, 77, 99 when count up? – Niconii Jun 2 at 6:01
  • @Niconii よんじゅうよん, ななじゅうなな (or less commonly しちじゅうしち/ななじゅうしち), きゅうじゅうきゅう. しじゅう is acceptable only when you talk about age, "40 (years old)" or "in one's forties". 4/7/9 each has a little different history related to the Japanese culture or sound system, so you have to except some irregularities. – naruto Jun 2 at 6:08
  • Thanks, but I don't know when 4 is read as "よ", "よん", or both. Also, I don't know when 7 and 9 are read as "なな", "きゅう" only or "なな or しち", "きゅう or く". – Niconii Jun 2 at 22:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.