Pretty sure there are more(nothing formal because it's a major pain), but these are the only ones I can think of. What are the difference between these? The all mean "very". Degree wise, how would you rank them or are they all the same? Is there a word for the highest degree of "very" (casual)?

Addendum: I get the feeling that some of them can be used for sarcasm (or only used for sarcasm). For example:

ものすごく: 俺あんぱん物凄く好き - literally" I really love red bean buns" but may feel like sarcasm. I.e: Implied meaning "I actually hate/ don't like red bean buns"

Or is whatever I said in the addendum really just jibberish rubbish?

「とってとても」って? --- – Chocolate May 29 at 14:52
  • これかな hinative.com/ja/questions/4164763 。確か聞いたことありそう。詳しく分かんないけど – Newbie May 29 at 23:21
    とって in それは私にとってとても嬉しいことだった is "for". It is それは私にとって、とても嬉しいことだった. – Yuuichi Tam May 30 at 0:21

とても and すごく are general words which mean "very". You can use them in any situation. I think you want to say とっても、it is a casual way of saying とても. 物凄く is a word that emphasizes すごく. I don't think it is a sarcasm word.

In my opinion, I feel that 本当に and すごく are words for a higher degree of "very" than とても.

超、めちゃ、めちゃくちゃ、まじで are casual ways of saying "very", so you had better not use them in formal situations. めちゃ has been more used recently than 超 among young people.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks. so in the list, the one with the highest degree of "very" is 物凄く or maybe 本当に? – Newbie May 29 at 23:19
  • Yes, but it's just my opinion. It is impossible to compare their degree because it depends on the person. I think めちゃくちゃ is also a word for a high degree of "very". – Yuuichi Tam May 30 at 0:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.