I've learned that the 1st to 10th day of the month is always read specially. However, when I converted these by using my computer typing "いちにち、ににち、さんにち、よんにち、ごにち、ろくにち、ななにち、はちにち、きゅうにち、じゅうにち、じゅうよんにち、にじゅうにち、にじゅうよんにち", these converted correctly. Especially, one-letter day expression can only be found when you convert correctly. For example, if you convert "よっか" or "よんにち", you can get a letter "㏣(IDEOGRAPHIC TELEGRAPH SYMBOL FOR DAY FOUR)". But, if you input "しにち" or "よにち", the letter is not shown within the candidates. I've learned that when you use generic counter for 1 to 10, you can use either "つ" or "こ". But, when you refer to over 10, You cannot use "つ", only "こ" can be used.

i) I wonder that the 1st to 10th, 14th, 20th and 24th day of the month also can be read as both "か" as "にち".

ii) And I wonder if I use "にち", the meaning is changed.enter image description here

I would note that, while it's fine to specify that you'd like a native speaker's opinion, you could be more polite in doing so. Your question is reaching the fairly diverse Japanese Language Stack Exchange community, and it's not clear why a non-native speaker couldn't answer this question well, so it seems quite dismissive to me to simply start your question with "I'm asking a native Japanese speaker". I appreciate your mother tongue may not be English, so this is not intended as a personal criticism; rather, it is meant as advice to bear in mind, to enable you to make the most of JL SE. – henreetee May 29 at 11:35

First of all, "にち" is available for every case but "か" is not. "か" is available only for 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,14,20,24 when you refer to a day.

i) I wonder that the 1st to 10th, 14th, 20th and 24th day of the month also can be read as both "か" as "にち".

Yes! The both are possible. In my sense, when we call a date on calendar "か" sounds more popular than "にち" if it's available (i.e. 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,14,20,24).
The exception is 1日 which sounds "ついたち" or "いちにち". I think ついたち sounds popular when I say "1st May" for example.

Similarly, When we call period of days (e.g. for 2 days), my sense is the same as above. To call 2日間, 3日間, 4日間, ..., ふつかかん, みっかかん, よっかかん, ..., とおかかん, じゅうよっかかん, はつかかん, にじゅうよっかかん sounds more popular than "にち" pattern.
We will never say ついたちかん. Because ついたち especially means the 1st day of the month. It doesn't mean just one day. We call "いちにちじゅう" (1日中) to say "all day long".

Furthermore, when we call the Nth day of summer vacation, the both are possible and "にち" gets popular back compared to the former cases. For example, "夏休み 8日目" (The 8th day of summer vacation) can be called "はちにちめ" as well as "ようかめ". The both sound natural enough.

| improve this answer | |
  • In your sense, the "にち" form is available when referring "the 1st to 10th, 14th, 20th, 24th day of the month" or "2 to 10, 14, 20, 24 days", however the special form (e.g. ついたち(the 1st day of the month only)、ふつか、みっか、よっか、・・・、とおか、じゅうよっか、はつか、にじゅよっか) is more popular than "にち" form, right? – Niconii May 29 at 12:38
  • Ah, sorry for making you confused!! Basically "にち" is available for every case. "か" is not. "か" is available only in 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,14,20,24. And if "か" is available, they sound more popular than "にち" in most cases. – Mitsutoshi Watanabe May 29 at 13:05
  • I updated the first part of my answer to add the explanation in the comment. – Mitsutoshi Watanabe May 29 at 13:09
  • Even if "か" is available, "にち" is often used, right? I think your sense this. – Niconii May 29 at 13:10
  • Yes. Basically right!! – Mitsutoshi Watanabe May 29 at 13:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.