I've seen 彼 and even sometimes 彼氏 described in several dictionaries as a pronoun that can refer to a person of any gender, while 彼女 is explicitly female. However in the wild ive never seen a woman referred to with 彼, but its also possible i dont see it, just as a second-language speaker of English may not realize "his" in "Every man must choose his fate" can refer to a person of any gender as it's a very subtle distinction.

So my question is this — when in modern day practice can 彼 refer to a person of either gender?

I think including those relevant dictionary definitions would make for a better question. – Darius Jahandarie May 27 at 14:12
    What you are referencing is called "markedness" in linguistic. Native Japanese speakers use pronouns much less frequently in Japanese than native English speakers use pronouns in English. – rppkgai May 27 at 14:17
    dictionary.goo.ne.jp/word/%E5%BD%BC_%28%E3%81%8B%E3%82%8C%29 Definition 2 here. 彼 without regard for gender is pretty archaic. – Aeon Akechi May 27 at 14:28
    @Aeon Right, the definition you linked says right in it that it’s not longer used. So I was wondering dictionary OP was using that made it unclear. – Darius Jahandarie May 27 at 15:55
  • Maybe that's obvious to others, and not to me perhaps because I am not an English native speaker, but how come "Every man ..." can refer to a person of any gender? – jarmanso7 May 30 at 6:20

彼{かれ} always refers to a male person in modern Japanese.

Historically, it was used to refer to something far away (like あれ in modern Japanese), and as a result was compatible with females as well, but that usage is no longer possible. Vestiges of that usage can be seen in 彼{か}の〜 (largely equivalent to あの) which is still used in modern Japanese.

| improve this answer | |
    And in fact the etymology of 彼女 is 彼{か}の女. – Darius Jahandarie May 29 at 17:03

The meaning of 彼 depends on the reading. If it's read かれ and is singular (i.e., not 彼ら), then it refers to a male.

| improve this answer | |
    彼ら literally refers to something like '(the guy we were talking about) and others in his group', so while there can be females in that group, 彼 is still referring to a man. So it's less a function of 彼's meaning changing and more just how ら works. – Darius Jahandarie May 27 at 22:58
  • @DariusJahandarie 彼's meaning does change, based on the reading. It's not always read かれ and doesn't always refer to a man. – Hakanai Jinsei May 29 at 15:58
  • If you are talking about 彼{か}, sure. I was responding to your parenthetical note about 彼ら. – Darius Jahandarie May 29 at 16:55
  • @DariusJahandarie The paren was just to avoid suggesting that 彼ら refers only to males. For the other readings, I was thinking in terms of あ and あれ. So this was a misunderstanding I guess. – Hakanai Jinsei May 29 at 20:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.