I asked this question earlier:

Mother: 当分ここに住むから。

Son: えっ!? 何だよそれ。

Mother: カワイイ一人息子が頭 打ったんだ。

Mother: 様子見くらい いいっしょ。

Here's the question: What does 様子見くらいいいっしょ。 mean?

• 様子見 = wait-and-see
  • くらい = about?around? dunno
  • いいっしょ = it's good, isn't it? it's ok, right? dunno

But after hours of discussing with some guys I finally get to understand it, though I don't know how to make a literal translation. I can make a decent English translation but not a literal translation.

So, here's what I learned:

様子見くらい いいっしょ。

Breaking it down.

様子見: Gives the idea of "taking care";"looking after";"checking in on you".

くらい: It was really tricky to learn it, I got something like: For my particular context it gives off the feeling/nuance of "XYZくらい いいでしょう” ”The amount of XYZ... (is small) It's not too much to handle, right?” ”It's not going to hurt you to do a little XYZ"

In other words, sometimes XYZくらい trivializes the XYZ

いいっしょ: meaning I think; it seems; probably; right?

So, what would be a literal translation to it? (I don't know if this kind of question is acceptable in this website, if it's not. Please warn me, and I'll delete it).

But after hours of discussing with some guys I finally get to understand it -- In that case please edit your original question and add new info there, instead of posting a new question. – Chocolate May 25 at 5:23
  • I've merged your old question into the new one, so both answers show up in the same place. – Chocolate May 28 at 1:00
  • 様子見 means wait-and-see, watch-and-wait, or seeing what happens without any actual intervention. "Taking care" and "looking after" are probably misleading because they imply intervention.
  • くらい basically means "this much" or "about", but it indeed implies 様子見 is not a big deal, so "just 様子見" is a valid translation.
  • いい is "fine", "good", etc.
  • っしょ is colloquialism for でしょう, which is "I think", "..., isn't it?", etc.

Therefore a literal translation is like "I think just watching and waiting is fine". It could be translated like "It's at least fine for me to watch you, huh?"

| improve this answer | |

様子見 = wait-and-see → Correct. It's a noun.

くらい = about?around? → Main use of くらい is "about" or "around", but there are also other usages.

明鏡国語辞典
くらい 〘副助〙 〔「ぐらい」とも〕: ❷ 物事を示して、その程度が軽いことを表す。

「それくらいのことでめげるな」

「お茶を飲むくらいつきあえよ」

So くらい is used to show that the previous thing is something small or trivial.

Ex. それくらいで慌(あわ)てるな。= Don't get upset over such small thing.

それぐらいは僕でも知ってる。= Even I know that much.

いいっしょ → Colloquial for いいでしょう.

I don't know the context but 様子見くらい いいっしょ。 is like "My dear only son got a bang on the head, just let me wait and see, darling!" something like that.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.