I've been listening to some audio of sentences and sometimes I feel like I hear them combine the consecutive "o"s together into a long "o"? Here is two examples of what I hear from different audio sources. You can see that after ご there is を so double "o". I hear the following two styles of saying this sentence:

1. nihongoo hanasu

2. nihongo o hanasu

In the first example I hear that they just make a long "o" sound like "ou". But sometimes in the audio I hear them pause quickly and emphasize the particle "を". Which way is correct here? I always emphasize the particle "を" but it seems that in this special case it's not as much emphasized when speaking?

I would expect to hear a long o here, because 日本語 ends with a high pitch and makes the を high pitched as well. Other words with a pitch drop before the particle may have a more pronounced を.

Furthermore this is often pronounced as a more "wavy o~" instead of a "long o-", because を is actually not pronounced like お. It's just that the w sound is more subtle than in English. You should be able to hear it here: https://forvo.com/word/~_%E3%82%92%E3%80%80%E3%81%8F%E3%81%A0%E3%81%95%E3%81%84%E3%80%82/#ja

That said the audio sample you were listening to may also be slang, in which case you may have heard 日本語話す.

| improve this answer | |
  • I do not understand the downvote to this answer. Can anyone explain? – rebuuilt May 24 at 0:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.