Today I came across the sentence, 「日本のスポーツと礼の関係について話しています。」 I scratched my head looking at this initially thinking the meaning of 関係 is relation/relationship, connection. Then I found out 関係 also has the meaning on (involvement). Does that mean this sentence translated to (Talking about Japanese sports and proper etiquette’s involvement/role)?

Thank you!

• I'm wondering if "sportsmanship" is a good translation for スポーツと礼の関係 . – charlemagne May 22 at 9:25
  • @charlemagne it is a valid translation, but don't you think it's too "interpreted" – rebuuilt May 22 at 9:53
  • @rebuuilt Yeah I see your point, but doesn't it depend on context? – charlemagne May 22 at 10:54

You don't have to overthink. AとBの関係 is just "relationship between A and B".

(<日本のスポーツ>と<礼>の関係)について話しています。

[Someone] is talking about (the relationship between <Japanese sports> and <rei>).

礼 basically means bowing, but as you know, it implies much more, and that's the theme of the speech. Still, the grammar of this sentence itself is simple.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you very much, I need to try not to over think these things I guess! – Dave07 May 23 at 3:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.