I'm currently studying some N1 grammar, and I actually find it pretty hard getting a feel of the grammar patterns.

I saw this pattern in my Anki deck:

わたしは他人の話に耳を傾けたわけではないんですが、むこうはきかれていようがいまいが、気にとめていなかったのです。

It’s not that I listened to what is not meant for me. They were quite oblivious of who heard them and who did not. (Not my translation.)

I looked up for another sample sentence and found this:

気持ち悪いと言われようが言われまいが、私はオタクを貫く。

Whether or not I get told that it's 気持ち悪い (I don't know how to best translate this: disgusting? gives them a bad feeling?), I'm a geek.

My question is, if I replace this pattern with かどうか like in the following sentences:

気持ち悪いと言われるかどうか、私はオタクを貫く。

わたしは他人の話に耳を傾けたわけではないんですが、むこうはきかれているかどうか (seems grammatically wrong to me)、気にとめていなかったのです。

How will it change the sentence? Will it feel less "written style" and more "spoken style"? More casual? Or is it even a valid replacement? Also, in what setting is this grammar pattern usually seen? I've read a couple of news articles and some editorials, and so far, I haven't encountered them yet. Looking up grammar patterns like this in the corpus gives me a hard time because there's something sandwiched in between よう and まい.

(1) 気持ち悪いと言われるかどうか、私はオタクを貫く doesn't make sense while (2) むこうはきかれているかどうか 気にとめていなかった is fine.

が as in ようが(まいが)is a conjunction, thus ようが(まいが)functions as an adverbial phrase. However, か(どうか)doesn't have a conjunction, thus, doesn't function as an adverbial phrase but just an equivalent to a noun.

In the second example, きかれているかどうか is the object for the verb 気に留めていなかった, (and you can insert を after it). However, the first example doesn't have a verb that corresponds with 気持ち悪いと言われるかどうか, which is essentially a noun.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.