So, I was reading through a list of options in Japanese when I saw "SharePointで開く." My initial reaction was to read it as あく but it felt wrong and thought that maybe it was ひらく. I checked this link and it said that あく is intransitive but ひらく can be both transitive and intransitive.

In the end, I decided that it should be read as ひらく because although there was no を to tell that the verb was transitive, I think it was already obvious from the context that it meant [フォルダを]SharePointで開く which means that あく wouldn't work in this case.

Is my line of reasoning correct? Or can this be read as あく (given the absence of を)?

Options

Your reasoning is perfectly correct. It's "SharePointで開く【ひらく】". Even in English, this can be said without explicitly mentioning the object, like "Open with SharePoint".

You have an object in your sentence (i.e. SharePoint)

Because you have an object in your sentence, you are using a 開くas a transitive verb.

Because you are using 開くas a transitive verb, you read it as "ひらく"

But “Sharepoint” is not the object here? If it was it would be marked by を. Additionally, you can even use 〜で with intransitive verbs too, like 郵便で届く. – Darius Jahandarie May 21 '20 at 22:47
  • I agree with @DariusJahandarie. "SharePoint" is not the object but the means by which you perform the action which in this case is 開く – rebuuilt May 22 '20 at 0:06
  • I agree with this reasoning, except that SharePoint isn't the object; the object is an implied このファイル or the like. The transitive form should absolutely still be used: if there were a "dialog box" window with a labelled button for closing, I'd expect to see 閉じる. 閉める would also be possible; but you would never see 閉まる - the button is directed at you, and you're not closing yourself, you're closing a thing. Similarly with 開く - it's ひらく because it can't be あく, and the okurigana doesn't support あける. – Micah Cowan May 25 '20 at 12:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.