The full sentence was 人気のある情報を見る, found on a button. Why would のある instead of for instance な

• It means the same than 人気がある. Does it help? As for why and how this が can be replaced by の, it has been answered before here – jarmanso7 May 20 '20 at 6:02
  • @jarmanso7 I understand the の/が replacement, the part that confuses me is why is ある used with 人気? Does it just mean favorite? Can other adjectives also be used like this? – Lourens May 20 '20 at 6:08

人気 works both as a noun ("popularity") and as a no-/na-adjective ("popular"). The following sentences mean the same thing:

"Pokémon is popular with children."

• ポケモンは子供に人気です。
  • ポケモンは子供に人気があります。

English speakers don't usually say "there is popularity", but Japanese speakers do say 人気がある for whatever reason. Both sentences are very common and I don't even know which is more common.

Naturally, you can construct relative clauses from them. The following noun phrases mean the same thing:

"a Pokémon which is popular with children"

• 子供に人気なポケモン
  • 子供に人気のポケモン
  • 子供に人気があるポケモン
  • 子供に人気のあるポケモン

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.