In sentences like

2時ごろ子どもを迎えに行きます。I will go to meet/greet my child around 2 O'clock.

Is the sentence structure of verb(Stem form)に行く/来る/帰る, ever strictly necessary? Or following the example, would

2時ごろ子どもを迎えます。I will meet/greet my child around 2 O'clock.

be sufficient. In other words, is the fact that you will go somewhere to do this action already implied (in some cases).

Another example:

来月旅行に行きます。I will go travel next month. VS. 来月旅行します。I will travel next month.

Aside: I can see how in examples like

映画を見に行きたいです。I want to go see a film.

The format it's written in would be useful, as the emphasis is placed on the fact that you wish to go somewhere to see a film, not simply that you want to watch a film.

Thank you for, any and all, help! Much appreciated!

2時ごろ子どもを迎えに行きます。
2時ごろ子どもを迎えます。

These are very different.

• 2時ごろ子どもを迎えに行きます。 I will pick the children up around two o'clock.
  • 2時ごろ子どもを迎えます。 I welcome the children (to the place) around two o'clock.

In this case, 迎える and 迎えに行く are different. However,

• 映画を見ます I watch a movie.
  • 映画を見に行きます I go and watch a movie.

These ones are not too much, one is just saying 'watch movie at anywhere', you can watch movies at home these days. Another is saying 'watch a movie in a certain place', likewise a theatre. The latter one implies, you are going out of your home and watch a movie.

来月、旅行に行きます is a formal expression. And 来月、旅行します sounds a casual expression. In this case, 旅行に行く is a very popular and common phrase/term for travel almost an idiom/colloquial thing thus 旅行する sounds ill-mannered or unnatural.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.