enter image description here

はやいもんがち!

From context, I'm guessing 「もん」 is explanatory 「も」+ emphasis particle「の」, and 「がち」 might be related to winner (because the next line is "Ready.. go!" like a race). Is it 連濁 + 勝ち【かち】? Though the 勝ち【がち】 I'm familiar with means "prone to".

Why not try a dictionary first? dictionary.goo.ne.jp/word/… and an English one: ejje.weblio.jp/content/…
    – macraf
    May 15, 2020 at 15:44
    @macraf Thank you so much for the answer. I did try to do that first. I apologize if my question was dumb. I initially searched for がち in the dictionary, because I thought I knew the word 早い and seen もん before, and it was what seemed unknown to me. But nothing in がち made sense, so I next tried to search English words I thought would fix the context like "win", "victory". It did not cross my mind to think it was a set phrase.
    – Dani
    May 15, 2020 at 15:51
  • You can always try Google Search i.stack.imgur.com/C5vzF.png
    – macraf
    May 15, 2020 at 19:22

1 Answer 1

がち here is 勝ち, that is, win. As usually in Japanese, when you combine words, the first syllable of the second word can change into the 濁点{だくてん} form, that is, か becomes が.

もん is a colloquial way of saying 者{もの}, that is, person. For example, 田舎モン, meaning person from the countryside.

The full phrase is thus:

早{はや}い者{もの}勝{が}ち

and it simply means that the person that is first, wins.

Maybe "The quick(er) person wins"? It seems to me Yotsuba is saying that the more one is quick, the more things they eats.
    – Mauro
    May 15, 2020 at 17:32
  • Yes, in this particular scenario quicker might be more appropriate.
    – a20
    May 15, 2020 at 17:34

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .