Both words can be translated as feeling. However, after referring to some online dictionaries and websites, it is suggested that one refers to a physical feeling and the other refers to a psychological feeling.

The reason for this question is that some of these materials are in conflict with each other. Some say:

気分: physical feeling

気持ち: psychological feeling

and others say:

気分: psychological feeling

気持ち: physical feeling

Which is correct? Or, alternatively, can both words refer to either a psychological and physical feeling depending on context?

• Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/15472/5010 (気分 can also refer to something related to health condition, but it's not covered in this...) – naruto May 15 at 10:28
  • Maybe I'm just philosophizing here but, aren't all feelings phsychological? Could you possibly mean sense vs feeling? – jarmanso7 May 15 at 12:06
  • I mean: feeling healthy/sick or happy/sad – billzt May 16 at 0:05

Both 気持ち and 気分 primarily refer to something psychological, and the difference is explained in this question. In short, 気持ち tends to refer to a concrete "feeling" or "thoughts" about something, whereas 気分 refers to more abstract, temporary and uncontrollable "mood".

• 彼の気持ちを知りたい。
    I want to know how he feels (about me/this).
  • 今日は踊りたい気分だ。
    I'm in the mood of dancing.

However, both 気持ち and 気分 sometimes refer to something physical (i.e., related to body), too.

• 気持ちが悪い (or single-word 気持ち悪い) primarily means "I'm disgusted", but it can mean "I feel sick/nauseous", too. Seasickness typically causes this symptom.
  • 気分が良い primarily means "to be in a good mood (psychologically)", but it can also mean "to feel better (physically)" when you are ill. Unless you have a mental disorder, if a physician said 今日のご気分はどうですか to you, it's about your physical condition, not your mental state.

If you mean "physical feeling" in the sense of "touch/texture", neither 気持ち nor 気分 refers to that, but you can use 手触り (てざわり). For example 滑らかな手触りのハンカチ means "handkerchief with a smooth texture".

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.