There's a plethora of words in japanese that means "tell". For example: 言う、告げる、教える、伝える、聞く、you name it. Question is, which should I use when I just want a general "tell". For example: I want to tell you "Everything will be okay"

• Think of all the different meanings of the English word tell. Which sense you intend will change which word you use when speaking a different language. What you describe as "a plethora of words in Japanese that mean 'tell'" is a manifestation of the different mapping of concepts between English and Japanese -- where those different English meanings that just happen to be expressed by the word "tell" are instead expressed using different terms. – Eiríkr Útlendi May 14 at 16:54

I want to tell you "Everything will be okay"

General case: 伝えたい
Acceptable, oral/casual: 言いたい
In case 'you' would not know in any chances: 教えたい
Inform: 告げる
In passive form: 聞かせてほしい

| improve this answer | |
  • I want to tell you "Everything will be okay"。The "want" in this sentence is best represented by 伝えたい ということ? I really meant 聞かせる instead of 聞く. My bad – Newbie May 13 at 23:25
  • 聞かせる still doesn't fit because 'forcing' nuance of its word. 聞いてもらう is acceptable. The original sentence is (私はあなたがたに)「事態/状況は良くなる」と伝えたい Everything wouldn't fit すべてのこと in many cases. – user34216 May 13 at 23:37
  • I take 聞かせて as "tell me", and hence the る form of the word 聞かせる would mean "tell you"(without forcing). 違うですか – Newbie May 14 at 0:05
  • @Newbie, in that case, the subject change. "I want to be taught from you." It's Okay to use, no forcing nuance. – user34216 May 14 at 0:10
  • Soz, how did we get to 聞かせる meaning "I want to be taught from you". Do you mean "told" instead? – Newbie May 14 at 0:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.