If you were counting pieces in chess, say, one, two, three pawns, how would you do that in Japanese? Would you use ほん hon, ぽん pon, ぼん bon 本?

I am not sure whether this makes a difference: by counting I mean rather the material value than the actual wooden piece. A better example would be perhaps 3 vs 2 pawns or counting pieces in computer or online chess.

Can I make sure if you want to count 1, 2, 3... pawns i.e. counting 1, 2, 3 unit(s) of ポーン is 1っぽん、2ほん、3ぼん and so on (using kanji 1, 2, 3本...). – kimi Tanaka May 11 at 22:39
  • @kimi Tanaka I added some clarification to the question. – user1583209 May 11 at 23:26

The most generic つ or 個 is used to count chess pieces (e.g., 1つ/2つ/3つ... or 1個/2個/3個...). They are not "long and thin" enough to use 本.

By the way, in shogi, pieces are flat, so serious players usually count them like 1つ/2つ/3つ or 1枚/2枚/3枚, but 個 is occasionally used by laypeople, too.

The same is true for computer chess/shogi.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.