Both で and と can be used to mean "and" when used with nouns. For example:

兄は一番大切で愛しい人 - brother is the most precious and dearest person

兄は一番大切と愛しい人 - brother is the most precious and dearest person

Both seems ok to me. Question is, which one and under what circumstances should I use each of them?

• Looks rather like this question of yours. If the answer there doesn't help you then please explain in more detail what your problem is. japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/75055/… – user3856370 May 10 at 14:02
  • @user3856370 Edited – Newbie May 10 at 16:07
  • But now you've changed your two nouns into a na-adjective and an i-adjective. Does that give you any hints? See if you can find a real sentence that uses で with two actual nouns. – user3856370 May 10 at 16:59
  • @user3856370 一人暮らしで単純の生活がいい. In this case both で and と sounds ok to me – Newbie May 11 at 5:35
  • ^ 1人暮らしで単純生活, right? (not 単純の生活, cos 単純 is a なadjective.) 1人暮らしで[質素]{しっそ}/[簡素]{かんそ}な生活 would be more natural, though. 1人暮らし単純/質素/簡素な生活 is grammatically incorrect. – Chocolate May 13 at 2:24

The second sentence is wrong as Japanese. と is and for nouns. You can say 兄と弟は一番大切で優しい人

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks. What if I changed it to 兄は一番大切と親切人, will this be grammatically correct? Or should I really always use と when chaining nouns? – Newbie May 10 at 18:14
  • It's also wrong. Don't use と for adjectives. If you want to emphasize 兄 has two characteristics, you can say 兄は一番大切な人であり、優しい人だ – ryuichi May 10 at 18:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.