These are the sentences I am confused about. For better context, this is the whole page:

1. しよう in 「じゃあ今日は普通においしいものにしよう」
  2. しよっ in 「…なににしよっかなぁー…」
    These 's in the page are not small .
    – naruto
    May 10, 2020 at 1:01
    @naruto You're right. I have now edited the question. I apologize, I copy pasted it from a transcript in bilingual-manga.com, did not notice, and got confused.
    – Dani
    May 10, 2020 at 2:42

1 Answer 1

じゃあ今日は普通においしいものにしよう

This にしよう is the volitional form of にする. The same にする used for making choices in, for example, a restaurant order. コーヒーにします = I'll have/choose/make it coffee.

The volitional form turns it into "let's have/choose/make it..."

So the girl is saying: "Lets have something with an ordinary level of tastiness today." (the shop doesn't have anything super-tasty).

なににしよっかなぁー

I think this しよっ is exactly the same as above: "I wonder what we'll have/choose?". My guess is that truncating しよう to しよっ makes it sound more chirpy/lively, but I'm far from certain about that.

• According to definition 2-2 here dictionary.goo.ne.jp/word/%E6%99%AE%E9%80%9A, 「普通においしい」 DOES mean "super-tasty". Do you just have to distinguish the definition from context?
    – Hikonyan
    May 11, 2020 at 16:44
  • @Hikonyan Interesting find. I didn't know about that usage. Maybe this is all a hilarious pun and I've missed it. I think it would be worth asking a separate question about this. May 11, 2020 at 16:56

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .