These are the sentences I am confused about. For better context, this is the whole page:

1. しよう in 「じゃあ今日は普通においしいものにしよう」
  2. しよっ in 「…なににしよっかなぁー…」
    These 's in the page are not small . – naruto May 10 '20 at 1:01
    @naruto You're right. I have now edited the question. I apologize, I copy pasted it from a transcript in bilingual-manga.com, did not notice, and got confused. – Dani May 10 '20 at 2:42

じゃあ今日は普通においしいものにしよう

This にしよう is the volitional form of にする. The same にする used for making choices in, for example, a restaurant order. コーヒーにします = I'll have/choose/make it coffee.

The volitional form turns it into "let's have/choose/make it..."

So the girl is saying: "Lets have something with an ordinary level of tastiness today." (the shop doesn't have anything super-tasty).

なににしよっかなぁー

I think this しよっ is exactly the same as above: "I wonder what we'll have/choose?". My guess is that truncating しよう to しよっ makes it sound more chirpy/lively, but I'm far from certain about that.

• According to definition 2-2 here dictionary.goo.ne.jp/word/%E6%99%AE%E9%80%9A, 「普通においしい」 DOES mean "super-tasty". Do you just have to distinguish the definition from context? – Hikonyan May 11 '20 at 16:44
  • @Hikonyan Interesting find. I didn't know about that usage. Maybe this is all a hilarious pun and I've missed it. I think it would be worth asking a separate question about this. – user3856370 May 11 '20 at 16:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.