I ran across the sentence, さばき切れます, and I can't figure out what it means. Can anyone please explain? Thanks in advance

Is that the full sentence? The full sentence and some context would be useful. – user3856370 May 9 at 16:08
  • Unfortunately that's all I have, and yest that's the full sentence. – Marcela alvarez centeno May 9 at 16:27
    When you say "that's all I have," do you mean there's no context whatsoever? And if so, how did you "run across" this word, and why do you care what it means? – Nanigashi May 9 at 16:50
  • It means that I read it in passing and I couldn't figure out what it means. I care because it caught my attention and haven't been able to find a definition in any dictionary or other source. – Marcela alvarez centeno May 9 at 16:58
    Hmm, in your previous questions you have shown your effort to provide enough context, so I believe you, but you could have explained why the context was lacking. さばく has multiple meanings, and it's challenging to guess the intended meaning if there is absolutely no context. – naruto May 10 at 1:11

さばき切る = さばく + し切る

• さばく = handle/dispose
  • しきる = finish doing

...をさばききる ≒ I can manage ... or do it in time.

For example,
この魚さばき切れる? = Can you dress this fish?

捌く is originally 'do something by hand' and 捌ける is a potential verb for it.
See also, はける

| improve this answer | |
    Thanks a lot! It makes sense – Marcela alvarez centeno May 9 at 23:31
    Could you explain why there is a し in し切る? It doesn't feature in the compound さばき切る and I'm struggling to understand why it is しきる rather than just きる. – user3856370 May 10 at 8:28
  • @user3856370, it's the same conjunction as the suffix added to the word 'access + able = accessible'. 走る+できる = 走れる or 歩く+できる= 歩ける euphonic change, 'de + les = des'. These happen at a time. – user34216 May 11 at 0:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.