would you please help me out figuring out this couple of lines? This is a couple of sentences in a conversation between two rivals, who meet on the evening before a match while one of them is training. One of them comes from the former champion school, while the other (the one training) comes from the runner-up school. The lines are the following:

(Player 1): グラウンドがすぐ近くにあるホテルとは。。。IH 準優勝様は違うね

(Player 2): IH優勝校がどの口で言う

BTW, IH stands for inter high schools tournament. My translation is

(Player 1): The field is just next to the hotel.... maybe it's different for the runners-up to the inter high tournament , eh?

(Player 2): What is the Inter High champion school saying? ((Or, are the Inter High champion schools ones to talk?))

But both lines sounds odd to me, and I'm afraid I don't really understand them. Am I on the right track? In particular, the use of 違う has always been difficult to me. I'd really appreciate any help.

Thank you very much in advance!

This 違う means "different from others" or simply "special". IH準優勝様は違うね is a sarcasm, "Mr. runner-up is so different from the rest of us!" or "What a special treatment Mr. runner-up can receive!" Notice 準優勝; this odd 様 indicates Player 1 is pretending to "admire" the runner-up as a joke.

IH優勝校がどの口で言う literally means "With what kind of mouth does a champion say it?", but it's basically just "How can a champion say that?" It's a natural response to the sarcastic remark of Player 1.

EDIT: どの口が言う (literally "which mouth says (it)") and どの口で言う (literally "with which mouth do [you] say (it)") is a set phrase meaning "How dare [you] say ~". The nuance is like お前が言うな.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you very much!! I couldn't have understood it without your help! – Marcela alvarez centeno May 9 at 3:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.