I’ve tried to google this but I end up with explanations about how to use the ーて form. I want to know how to call it in Japanese, you know, like a noun is 名詞, now do you call the ーて form in grammatical terms.

It is called(動詞の)テ形.

Also, [品詞]{ひん・し} means "part of speech" which would help when you Google things like that.

| improve this answer | |
    It's also worth noting that Japanese people will not be familiar with this term unless they know about Japanese grammar education aimed at non-natives. Grammar resources for natives don't talk about テ形. – Leebo May 8 at 15:57
  • @Leebo how do they call it then? – Etienne Zizka May 9 at 12:43
    @EtienneZizka て in Japanese grammar is considered a conjunction particle (接続助詞) which attaches to the conjunctive form of a verb (連用形), also called the masu stem form in English . – Leebo May 9 at 13:10
  • Thank you, I had not realised it was to be interpreted as a particle considering it’s not used independently as with は or を. – Etienne Zizka May 9 at 13:15
    @EtienneZizka You may be interested in this question. I posted it when I did not know the te-form was a full-fledged conjugation form to a JSL learner. As a native speaker of Japanese, I always believed 見て was two words because that was how I learned at school. – naruto May 10 at 1:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.