I'm fairly certain 方 is being used as a suffix in the following sentence based on three things; as explained below, but I would like a secondary opinion to confirm or deny my claim.

実戦では、拳法のような型や構えは意味がない。

1. According to Tai Kim's guide, 方 is used as a noun and is read in two different ways, かた and ほう. I doubt the 方 is being used as a noun in my sentence, based on my second piece of reasoning.

2. Seeing as 型や構え are two nouns connected by the や particle, 方 can only either be a verb (highly unlikely) or a suffix for the sentence fragment to make syntactical sense in Japanese.

3. In the definition of the かた reading for 方 here, the third provided definition "noun, noun - used as suffix translated as 'method of; manner of; way of' has the following example sentence.

その少年はカーブの投げ方を知っている。

3.2 Seeing as how 投げ is most likely being used as a noun; and is before the 方; I came to the conclusion my 方 is also being used in the same manner; which appears to be as a suffix.

• 憲法? Isn't it 拳法? – Spoonail May 8 at 2:38
  • @Spoonail Thanks for pointing that out. I must be going blind, or my Japanese kanji IME keyboard input the wrong kanji by mistake. – Toyu_Frey May 8 at 2:41

Yes this 方 is a suffix, and it's the same as 方 as in 投げ【なげ】方【かた】. 構え【かまえ】方【かた】 means "way of taking a posture". Although 構え can be used as a noun on its own, here it's used as a verb, forming a noun in combination with 方. That is, it's parsed like (型)や(構え方), not (型や構え)方.

By the way, what's the difference between 型 and 構え方? 型 ("form") includes moves of martial arts (e.g., how to punch, kick or throw), whereas 構え方 is only about taking a good posture.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.