I wanted to write a sentence that means:

Okinawa and Hokkaido are different, their climate and the time cherry blossoms bloom differ.

I was wondering if this would be the appropriate way to write that:

沖縄と北海道が違い、気候とか桜を咲く時とか違います。

I want to make sure the second phrase doesn't sound like "climate and cherry-blossom-blooming time are different (from each other)"

Another way I could think of writing this is (but might have two 違い too close):

~,その違いが気候とか桜を咲く時です。

Basically, is there a grammatically different way to express "This two things are different" vs. "This two things differ on these two points"?

Okinawa and Hokkaido are different, their climate and the time cherry blossoms bloom differ.
沖縄と北海道の気候は違い、気候とか咲く時とか違います。

Well, google translation should be improved. And people should use it with the proper word order...
So the technique, first rewrite the sentence easier and simpler.

The climate are different in Okinawa and Hokkaido.
沖縄と北海道は気候が違います
So as the cherry blossom times are, too.
そして桜が咲く時期も違います

This helps in any language. (I think I hope)

| improve this answer | |
  • While I know it would be clearer and more straightforward to separate the sentences, this question is more geared toward if there exists a typical way to use a "single" 違う to express what is different between two things. I think it would help your answer to include a sort of affirmation that there isn't a commonly used way, to justify splitting up the sentence into two. Does that make sense? – katatahito May 8 at 17:09
  • 沖縄都北海道では、気候も桜の咲く時期も違います If you can make it two and much easier to put them back into one, I think. – user34216 May 8 at 22:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.