While working through the Tobira textbook, I came to a grammar point Chapter 1 - #5. This stated verb stems and adverbial い-adj form could be used to combine sentences as in:

1. 昨日は友達とレストランで晩ご飯を食べ、その後、映画を見に行った。

2. この地方は冬は雪が多く、夏はとても暑い。

It doesn't give English translations but I take these sentences to mean:

1. Yesterday I ate dinner with my friend at a restaurant, and after that we went to go watch a movie.

2. In this region, the winters have a lot of snow and the summers are very hot.

My question is whether this grammar structure can only be used with non-conjugated phrases. This mostly concerns negative vs. affirmative sense, since the 1st example shows that the first phrase will have the same past/non-past sense as the following phrase.

For example, (following the pattern of い-adj --> て-form w/out て) do these make sense/sound idiomatic:

1. 姉は高くなく、まだ早くジョギングができます。

My sister is not tall, and still she can jog quickly

1. 今日お昼ご飯を食べなく、4時よりおなかがペコペコになってしまいました。

Today I did not eat lunch, and from 4 o-clock on I became hungry

If these do not make sense, is there a similar grammar structure to use? Or would just a word with the opposite sense be used instead?

You're right. That's how you conjugate ない forms, and I find nothing wrong with the following examples that you provided:

1. 姉は高くなく、まだ早くジョギングができます。

My sister is not tall, and still she can jog quickly

1. 今日お昼ご飯を食べなく、4時よりおなかがペコペコになってしまいました。

Today I did not eat lunch, and from 4 o-clock on I became hungry

That being said, please do note that this form is more common in written Japanese than in spoken Japanese. As far as I know, patterns like い-adj --> て-form are more common in spoken Japanese.

To include Mindful's correction, the last option is better written as

1. 今日お昼ご飯を食べないで、4時よりおなかがペコペコになってしまいました。
| improve this answer | |
  • My question wasn't so much "is my conjugation correct" but, does that conjugation work in the grammar structure, could you add info on that matter? – katatahito May 8 at 0:15
  • Done with the edits :) – rebuuilt May 8 at 0:23
    Unfortunately there is something wrong with last example, purely because the negative for verbs in this case behaves unusually. See here and also here. – Mindful May 8 at 3:23
  • @Mindful Thank you for your comment. Are you referring to the fact that it should not be 今日お昼ご飯を食べなくて4時より〜 but 今日お昼ご飯を食べないで4時より〜? – rebuuilt May 8 at 8:22
  • Yes, that's correct. If you wanted to match the stiff and formal feeling of dropping て like in 高くなく then ず is also an option, but the simplest/most basic option for negation here is ないで. – Mindful May 8 at 16:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.