I found that there're two ways to pronounce the transcription of りゆう, that are:

• Riyū. For example: Riyū in 理由 (reason)
  • Ryū. For example: Ryūgakusei in 留学生 (International student)

So in certain situation, how can I know which one to choose?

• Haven't you learned about small kana or are you talking about the historical orthography (not correct for 留 anyway, though)? – broccoli facemask - cloth May 5 at 4:29
  • I know small kana but only pay attention to tsu (Sokuon via Wikipedia) – petwho May 5 at 5:04
    @petwho If you're intentionally ignoring the yo-on, please don't do that. That's almost like saying "I won't pay attention to the difference between L and R because light and right sound the same to me". – naruto May 5 at 18:38

They are spelled differently. Riyū is always りゆう and Ryū is always りゅう. The latter contains a yō-on. Notice the small ゆ, which is different from the normal ゆ. (If you don't know about small ゆ, please refer to any beginner textbook.)

If you saw りゆう for 留 in modern Japanese book, it's most likely a typo, but there are rare exceptions:

• If you are reading a very old document (or a citation from an old document), you may see りゆう for 留 because the small ゆ was not common before the postwar script reform.
  • In furigana, a small や/ゆ/よ/つ is sometimes rendered like a regular (large) や/ゆ/よ/つ because furigana are already small. This depends on the publisher. See the subtle difference below:

enter image description here

BTW りゅう may be difficult to pronounce/hear to native English speakers.

| improve this answer | |
  • Things like the image you showed occasionally make it hard for me to tell the difference between small and big kana, even though I have fairly solid eyesight. Sometimes the difference in size just isn't a whole lot, so if there aren't many other characters in the same spot to compare it to... – Panzercrisis May 5 at 20:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.