What's the difference in using 楽 and まし. For example: 死んだほうがましだ against 死んだほうが楽だ. They both mean "It is easier to die (than to do something else)"

• Have you tried looking these terms up in a dictionary? They mean fairly different things. – Mindful May 4 '20 at 17:46
  • @Mindful yea I did, but while they mean "easier" and "better" when used individually, in the sentence such as the above, they sound the same to me – Newbie May 4 '20 at 17:48
    楽 doesn't mean easy in this context. Check the dictionary again. @Newbie – Fireheart251 May 4 '20 at 18:09
  • @Fireheart251 Does it mean relief? But why can't it mean easy? There really isn't much context to begin with, so how would one know which it means? Especially since the 2 meanings are polar opposites – Newbie May 4 '20 at 20:03
    Easy may be appropriate here for the colloquial usage meaning "easier on me", I.E. more comfortable. However, I don't understand how "It would be easier/more comfortable if I died" and "It would be better if I died" can sound the same; at the very least that's not a Japanese language issue. – Mindful May 4 '20 at 20:31

They are semantically different words. 楽 means easy (antonym for tough/tiresome/hard) whereas まし is nuanced better, or "not satisfactory but at least better than something even worse" (See: What's the meaning and usage of ~マシだ).

死んだほうが楽だ and 死んだほうがましだ does not sound that different simply because 死ぬ is a thing that is normally both tough and bad. But tough and bad is not always the same. For example, imagine you are a traveler and decided to take a long, steep but safe mountain road, avoiding a short but bandit-appearing road. In this case, the mountain path is tougher but better. So you would say こちらの山道の方がマシだ, but not こちらの山道の方が楽だ.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.