★please note: if it’s possible, I wouldn’t want the whole sentence translated as I want to do it myself. I’d prefer to have information about my questions with examples in other sentences than this one. I learn more than when I’m just given an answer. Of course, if it can’t be explained without explaining the whole sentence it’s ok too!

保険制度『の』おかげ『で』患者『の』支払う医療費『は』月数万程度[だ]『が』 Page in the left, second panel from the top, first bubble on the right.

月 can mean moon but that’s not it here so I’d logically narrow it down to the meaning of month. But considering what comes after, I don’t know how to word it!

数万 means “tens of thousands” and 程度 means “degree”.

This 月【つき】 means "per month". You may know に is used for this purpose, but [1日]{いちにち}, 週, 月 and 年 work like a shorthand and you don't have to say に. (いち must be used only before 日. 週/月/年 is preceded by nothing.)

Examples:

• 年1回
    once a year
  • 1日3錠
    3 tables/pills per day
  • 1日1時間
    an hour a day (not "a day and an hour"; see this)
  • 月5本
    5 episodes/lessons/etc a month
  • 週5日
    five days a week

程度 in this context is "about" or "roughly". So 月数万程度 means "about tens of thousands of yen a month".

| improve this answer | |
  • Ok but I'm not sure I understand how it relates to 数万 and 程度. Also there's no number before 月 so does it still apply? Also, you're saying that the 1 before 月 is supposed to be understood just like に doesn't have to be said. – Etienne Zizka May 4 at 15:56
    @EtienneZizka I didn't notice you also got 程度 wrong. See my edit. No number has to come before 月/週/年 as long as it means "a month/week/year". When you want to say something complicated like "twice in every three weeks", you have to be explicit and say 3週に2回. – naruto May 4 at 16:43
  • Thanks, I supposed you guessed 円 even if it wasn’t mentioned in the context. – Etienne Zizka May 4 at 16:53
    @EtienneZizka Oh, I thought it was obvious because it's about 患者の支払う医療費 (and the characters were Japanese). – naruto May 4 at 17:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.