I understand that 憧れる is "to respect, long to be like." Are there such connotations associated with being "half" in Japan?

Hi! Welcome to the Japanese stack exchange. Unfortunately we are not a bulk translation service and so won't be able to answer questions for you unless you can provide some evidence of research and some guesses about what this might mean, or what parts in particular you are struggling with. – Mindful May 1 '20 at 1:45
    It's one of the compliments that some Japanese like to give. Something along the lines of 日本語、上手! I call it お世辞。 – rebuuilt May 1 '20 at 2:27
    The title seems to be opposite to yours though, there seems to be similar discussion here: Is the word ハーフ derogatory?. Is it helpful? – kimi Tanaka May 1 '20 at 2:48
    @Mindful I think this question is specifically about the connotation of the word ハーフ. – naruto May 1 '20 at 2:52
  • @naruto it is now. Edit made it much much clearer. – Mindful May 1 '20 at 3:15

Are there such connotations associated with being "half" in Japan?

Different people have different opinions here, but in general, yes. ハーフ (especially Western-Japanese "half") is commonly associated with beauty and proficiency in languages, and there are a few people who actively seek international marriage. Please see the link posted by @kimiTanaka, too.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.