Would I use "Aishita" or something else? The child is a 16 year old.

• Presumably you mean "deceased" and not "diseased"? – istrasci Apr 30 '20 at 2:14
  • Yeah, whoops, corrected it. – Alex Cunningham Apr 30 '20 at 2:16
  • Why でした? An ordinary 16-year-old boy would not usually use that to his mom unless he's being formal. Without knowing the overall atmosphere of the remaining part of the song, this question is very hard to answer. – naruto Apr 30 '20 at 2:23
  • Sorry, I'm new to Japanese, and I assumed でした referred to past tense? The overall atmosphere is very dark. And it's about the loneliness the boy and his brother faced following her death. – Alex Cunningham Apr 30 '20 at 2:39
  • でした is a past tense form, but it's the past tense of です, which is used to express politeness to the listener, and wouldn't typically be used between family members. The past tense that would be in the appropriate register would be だった. – Leebo Apr 30 '20 at 3:03

Unlike 恋 (koi) which refers to romantic love, technically speaking, you can use 愛 (ai) to refer to familial love. But it's basically a fairly big word, and I believe most 16-year-old boys would feel embarrassed to use it. 大好き (daisuki) should be much safer most of the time. 愛 might be safely used if the writer is mature and the song contains stiff words or words related Christianity/philosophy, but your song does not seem to be like this.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.