I understand that につれて can be used to express changes brought about by A on B where the extent of change in A has a proportional effect on B.

For example, "感染者が増えるにつれて、亡くなる人がどんどん増えていく。"

However, does the direction of this change have to be the same?

For example, can I say something like:

雨が降るにつれて、空を飛んでいる鳥が減っていく。

+1 but it might be worth re-wording a bit. You question currently asks if one thing can increase while the other decreases, but your second example has one thing changing while another thing happens. This is a much broader question than your title suggests. – user3856370 Apr 26 at 9:39
  • Oh I see it now! I meant to convey something like "As the downpour/rain increases, the number of birds flying in the sky decreases." Not sure what's the best way to say "as the rain increases" though. A quick scan through jisho.org seems like 雨が降り募る is a good option. Do you reckon that works? – wireman Apr 26 at 9:59

No, they don't have to be the same. You can easily use this to describe inverse relationships.

For example you could say things like:

晴れの日が増えるにつれて、鬱病患者が減っていく。( As the number of sunny days increases, the number of people with depression decreases)

Here are some more examples:

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.