Curious if there are any general rules for the pitch accent for pluralized たち nouns.

For example:

• 子供達 - the pattern seems to be こどもたち{LHHLL}
  • 私たち - the pattern seems to be わたしたち{LHHLL}
  • 自分たち - the pattern seems to be じぶんたち{LHLLL}
  • 人間たち - the pattern seems to not drop at all にんげんたち{LHHHHH}
  • 動物たち - the pattern seems to be どうぶつたち{LHHHLL}

Other words seem to fall on たち{HL}, rather than the noun itself.

I'm not certain if there's a clear pattern. But just in case, any general rules or tips on how pitch might work for たちed nouns?

How did you come up with the pitch accent for your examples? Also, what "other words" with たち do you have in mind? – Earthliŋ Apr 25 at 19:51
    I used a combination of gavo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ojad/phrasing/index and a pitch accent dictionary. As for other words where the pitch drops on た in たち, while I'm not recalling a specific example at the moment, I'm relatively confident I've heard this pattern before (could be wrong though). If one comes up, I'll post it here. – Ontic Apr 25 at 20:03
  • Native speakers, don't matter dialects, say た always is higher than ち or flat, only the exception ち is louder and higher at the end with question. – user34216 Apr 25 at 22:25
    [にんげんたち]{LHHHHH} is incorrect..... – Chocolate Apr 26 at 2:16
  • @Chocolate - these pitch accent resources are somewhat imperfect. What would it be then? にんげんたち{LHHHHL} like Sadaharu Wakisaka suggested? – Ontic Apr 26 at 16:33

The plural suffix ~~[達]{たち} is pronounced [たち]{LL}, as in:

[わたし]{LHH} → [わたしたち]{LHHLL}

[あなた]{LHL} → [あなたたち]{LHLLL}

[きみ]{LH} → [きみたち]{LHLL}

[こども]{LHH} → [こどもたち]{LHHLL}

[どうぶつ]{LHHH} → [どうぶつたち]{LHHHLL}

[ねこ]{HL} → [ねこたち]{HLLL}

[いぬ]{LH} → [いぬたち]{LHLL}

[せいと]{HLL} (生徒) → [せいとたち]{HLLLL}

[かんごし]{LHHL} (看護師) → [かんごしたち]{LHHLLL}

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.