How does one express thanks when made to do something. For example:

Thanks for making me realize the meaning of happiness - 幸せの意味を気づかせて(くれて)ありがとう

To me, it doesn't sound right because I feel that 気づかせて really means "making me realize (against my will)". Is there a better way of saying this?

I feel that 気づかせて really means "making me realize (against my will)" -- why do you feel so? – macraf Apr 20 '20 at 20:30
  • "Thanks for making me realize the meaning of happiness" - I don't understand what that means even in English. – Super-User Apr 20 '20 at 23:29
  • @macraf causation means to "make someone" do something. Somehow gives me the impression it's forced. Is it not? – Newbie Apr 21 '20 at 0:35

幸せの意味を気づかせてくれてありがとう is a perfectly natural sentence and it makes perfect sense. Note that くれて is mandatory even in non-causative sentence; お皿を洗ってくれてありがとう is fine but お皿を洗ってありがとう is not.

Japanese causative form (せる/させる) is not always forcible, and it can be translated to "to make someone do ~", "to let someone do ~" or "to allow someone to do ~". Examples of non-forcible せる/させる:

• 大学に行かせてください。
    Please allow me to go to the university.
  • 子供に夜中までゲームをさせてしまった。
    I allowed my kid to play games until late at night (and it was my fault).
  • 彼には好きなことを言わせておけ。
    Let him say whatever he wants.
  • 眠そうだったから、そのまま寝させておこう。
    She looked sleepy, so let her keep sleeping.
  • 妻を事故で死なせてしまった。
    My wife was killed in an accident (and it was my fault).
  • Thanks. Without くれて, what would the sentence translate to? Or would it just be grammatically wrong and it wouldn't make sense without the くれて? – Newbie Apr 21 '20 at 1:22
    @Newbie Without くれて, the sentence is simply ungrammatical. Proper use of donatory verbs is very important in Japanese. Of course you can say ~ていただいてありがとうございます instead, which is much politer. – naruto Apr 21 '20 at 1:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.